Historical Works of Heraldry in the Cathedral Library
In the 19th Century a catalogue was published showing all the books and manuscripts present in the Cathedral Library. This is available on archive.org at http://archive.org/details/acataloguebooks00unkngoog. Using this we can see what books covering Heraldry and Armory were present at that time, and for example, may have been sources for the nineteenth century shields in the Chapter House windows. According to the current Cathedral Library Catalogue all of these items are still present.
I have identified the following works (some which themselves are available from archive.org or googlebooks):
- GUILLIM (John), Display of Heraldrie, 3rd ed. Lond., T. Cotes, 1638, fol. Aa. 2. 14.
- Lincolnshire Herald's Visitation, 1562. Lond., 1881, 8vo.
- Lincolnshire Herald's Visitation, 1592. Lond., 1882, 8vo.
- ARGOL (Rich.), The Accedence of Armorie. Lond., Rich. Tottell, 1591, 8vo. LI. 6. 7.
- http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ppM8AAAAcAAJ (wrongly credited to Gerald Legh)
- BOSSEWELL (John), Workes of armorie, in 3 Bookes. Lond , in aedib. Rich. Totelli, 1572, 4to. Ff. 6. 16.
- CARTER (Matth.), Honor Redivivus ; or, The Analysis of Honor and Armory, 3rd ed. Lond., 1678, 8vo. Ee. 6. 5.
- FRANSI (Abrahami), Insignium, Armorum, Emblematum, Hieroglyphicorum, et Symbolorum, explicatio. Lond., 1588, 4to. L. 6. 10.
- JHONES (Rich.), The Booke of Honor and Armes. Lond., 1590, 4to. Kk. 6. 23.
- "A Catalogue of Books and Manuscripts in the Library of Lincoln Cathedral", G.F.Apthorp, Lincoln, 1859 P. (all)